DSNY Announcing New Organic Waste Separation Rules for Commercial Businesses
The New York City Department of Sanitation (DSNY) recently announced new organic recycling rules that will affect larger restaurants, chain restaurants and grocery stores. They are expanding current commercial organic waste separation programs to include these establishments to continually improve upon current recycling standards. The goal is to implement best practices ensuring that less food waste is sent to landfills, and with organic waste recycling NYC businesses ensure they use or dispose of these materials more efficiently.
Diverting this material from landfills to use for soil-enhancing compost or as an energy source in aerobic and anaerobic digesters is a key component of the City’s goal. This goal entails sending zero waste to landfills by the year 2030. Right now, this waste makes up more than one-third of all commercial waste.
Royal Waste strives to do everything we can to meet 100% of the new recycling standards to keep waste out of our landfills, but we cannot do this alone. We need everyone’s participation and help to make the system of recycling work. Our composting program can help you reduce waste at your place of business.
Establishments Covered by Business Organics Rules
Businesses who meet the minimum requirements below must comply with the business organics rules.
As of August 15, 2018: (future additions)
• Food service establishments with a floor area of at least 15,000 square feet
• Food service establishments that are part of a chain of 100 or more locations
in the city of New York
• Retail food stores with a floor area of at least 25,000 square feet
As of July 19, 2016: (current)
• Food service establishments in hotels with 150 or more rooms
• Arenas and stadiums with a seating capacity of at least 15,000 people
• Food manufacturers with a floor area of at least 25,000 square feet
• Food wholesalers with a floor area of at least 20,000 square feet
Royal Waste Is Here to Assist You!
Do you need assistance with complying with these new rules or need help with your overall waste management plan? Royal Waste will gladly guide you through the process. Our team of sustainability management experts is dedicated to helping our clients with their recycling and waste management needs. Contact us today to learn more.